Monday, February 25, 2008

Grande, Not Fat

I knew it was time for a Starbucks hiatus when I turned left on to West End last week and Knox said, "Mama, we go get coffee? We go to Starbucks, mama?" Ummmm, yes Knox, we're going to get coffee. So we pull through the drive through and when we get up to the window, he says out of the clear blue, "I'll have a grande, not fat."

In an effort to curtail my coffee expenses, I did some research and have combined a couple of recipes for my summer fave...the Frappuccino. Hope you like it as much as I do!

3/4 cup double-strength coffee, cold
1 cup low-fat milk
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 cups ice
Whipped cream for garnish

Directions: Make double-strength coffee by brewing twice the coffee required by your coffee maker. Chill before using. To make the drink, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until ice is crushed. Pour into two 16 oz. glasses, serve w/ straw, garnished w/ whipped cream.

For a Java Chip: Add 3 Tbsp. chocolate syrup and 4 Tbsp. crushed chocolate chips.

(I have found that for best results, pre-grind the chocolate chips in a coffee bean grinder. Also, Cool Whip works just as well for garnish.)

No comments: